Monday, September 7, 2009

MEZZALUNA ANYONE?

After doing the post on the China cap sieve below this post, I thought of my favorite blade and I wondered since this site is about Italian food, if I should mention another tool that I love. The mezzaluna is a single or double curved blade with a handle. Mezzaluna means "half moon" in Italian.  Usually sold with a wooden block that has a lowered center shaped like the blade and its used for chopping herbs. Rosemary works so well with this blade. Big blades are used on pizzas.  I use mine a lot. The depression in the wood block keeps the herbs together. Much better than using a straight blade on a cutting board. I find deals on these items in the local discount stores. You know the ones where we wander in at least every two weeks.  R , M, and TJ.  My favorite three.

No comments: